Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pope Francis thanks boy for entrusting him to guardian angel

  A 16 year-old Argentine boy who suffers from chronic encephalopathy – a brain disorder – was moved by a letter from Pope Francis responding to a note that he had sent the pontiff a few days earlier.

The boy, Nicolas Marasco, is unable to speak, but was able to send a letter to Pope Francis, with the help of his parents, saying that he asks his guardian angel every night to watch over the Holy Father and assist him in his pontificate.

“Dear Francis, my name is Nicolas and I am 16.  Since I am unable to write you (because I still cannot speak or walk), I asked my parents to do it for me, because they know me best,” his letter said.
“I want to tell you that when I was seven years old, Father Pablo gave me First Communion at my school,” he continued, “and this year, in November, I will receive confirmation – something which gives me great joy.”
“Every night ever since you asked me, I pray to my guardian angel – whose name is Eusebio and who is very patient – to watch over you and help you. You can be sure that he is good at it because he watches over me and is with me every day.”
“I would very much like to go see you and receive your blessing and a kiss, just that,” the boy continued. “I send you many greetings and I continue praying to Eusebio to watch over you and give you strength.  Love, Nico.”

The Argentinean daily Clarin reported that Pope Francis was deeply moved by the letter from Nicolas.

He shared the story of the young boy during his visit to Assisi on Oct. 4, saying, “In this letter, in the heart of this boy, is beauty, love, the poetry of God.  God who reveals himself to the simple hearted, the little ones, the humble ones, those who we often consider to be the last.”

A few days later, Marasco received the Pope’s answer, which was also published in Clarin.

“Dear Nicolas, thank you so much for your letter. Thank you so much for praying for me. Your prayers are helping me to do my work, which is to bring Jesus to the people,” the Holy Father wrote. “For this reason, dear Nicolas, you are important to me.”
“And I want to ask you a favor. Keep helping me with your prayers, and also keep praying to Eusebio, who is surely friends with my guardian angel, who also watches over me.”
“Nicolas, thanks for your help,” the Pope continued. “I am praying for you. May Jesus bless you and the Holy Virgin watch over you. Affectionately, and with my Blessing, Francis.”

On Nov. 9, Marasco received the Sacrament of Confirmation, together with 16 of his classmates.

His mother, Marisa Mariani, told Clarin, “What has happened to us has made us realize that the simple things are what matter, a word of encouragement, someone who listens, someone who doesn’t look the other way, as we sometimes experience out on the street.”

No comments: